top of page


Active workers who have completed their probationary period are eligible to participate in Career Development Programs. For the purposes of Career Development Programs, the term "active” is applied so that laid-off workers who have not broken pension-accruing service and have completed their probationary period are entitled to participate in Career Development Programs and initiatives. Additionally, all represented workers who suffer dislocation due to the closing of a facility or part of a facility will be entitled to participate in Career Development Programs and initiatives for two years from the employee's last day of work. This would include workers who have chosen retirement or severance as a result of the closing of a facility or part of a facility. This is provided all public funds available for dislocated workers shall be sought and obtained and the availability of such funds shall be considered in determining the extent of the need for Career Development Program funds. Dislocated workers off the job longer than two years may participate in training, if such participation does not prevent an active worker from receiving training and provided that Career Development Program funds are not used for additional payments toward their participation.  

Participation in the CDP cannot extend the employee's service and will not count as time worked. Employee family member(s) and retirees may participate in training, if such participation does not prevent an active worker from receiving training and provided that Career Development Program funds are not used for additional payments for family member(s) or retirees.

If non-represented workers, or management employees, participate in Career 
Development classes, the company must contribute funds to cover the cost of serving these workers. Expenses are assessed on a pro rata basis for non-represented workers or management employees that participate.



Per the Institute for Career Development, the following policy is effective immediately.  An active Local 1440 or 2571 member can expend up to $4500 of program funds for combining TA (tuition assistance) and customized courses under the following circumstances: Tuition Assistance (TA): If seeking a degree from an accredited school or by private occupational/vocational schools recognized by State boards of vocational education. This will also extend to schools approved by the ICD as “An Exception to Policy Provider.” Customized classes: If courses lead to certification from a nationally accredited body. Candidates must get approval prior to registering for classes and their expenditures may NOT EXCEED $4500.

bottom of page